Thursday, April 16, 2009

DON’T MISTAKE HAPPINESS FOR WEAKNESS

Sports Illustrated put me on the cover of its NBA playoff preview edition this week, but they wondered in the article if I could ever be serious enough to lead the Magic to a NBA title.

Trust me, that magazine will be going up on my mirror at home. But it will be there to serve as motivation for me in the playoffs. I want to show people that I can dominate AND have fun at the same time.

I remember three years back someone locally wrote that they hoped that I never lost my smile that I flash from time to time while I’m playing. But now, a few years later, my smiling and having fun on the court is seen as negatives? C’mon man, I just don’t get that.

People who watch the games sometimes take my kindness for weakness, but I don’t think the guys on the floor playing against me feel the same way. I can smile and still get the job done.

I’ve been smiling my whole life and I’m not going to stop. Basketball brings me joy and I’m having fun blocking shots and dunking, so I am going to smile. It’s not going to stop me from being who I am. I’m not going to change it for anybody.

My coach understands that my personality is to smile and have fun. I’m going to smile, but I’m going to get the job done too.

I just can’t play angry. I’ve tried it, but it only works for a couple of minutes. I have to smile, that’s just me. My dad use to try to stop me from smiling when I was growing up, but then he realized that basketball is my sanctuary. I’m going to smile and have fun, but at the same time I’m still going to dunk on you.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You seriously are an amazing talent and a great personality. You are right for being true to your self and your personality. Don't change just win that ring and show em haha.

ORLANDO GOT YOUR BACK!

said...

Yo Dwight! Ignore people who think smiling is a bad thing. Watching players who are enjoying themselves makes the game more entertaining.

You keep at it!

Good luck with Philly man! That was a harsh loss. I have faith ;o)

DR said...

Don't quit doing what naturally comes to you. I am a veteran and I almost never smile. People are always telling me to smile; it is just not who I am. One of the reasons my family supports you is because I don't mind my kids emulating you; you are a good role model and this parent thanks you for that.

Anonymous said...

You're awesome Dwight! Don't let no one tell you that you aren't because you know YOUR fans are with you all the way even though we aren't with you on the roads, here at home we have your back. We're at home screaming at the TV!! Well at least I am. I'm so proud of you guys for winning today's game (Sunday's game)!! Does Stan ever say good job to you guys? :-) Would love to go to a game, maybe next season! Good luck in the play off's. :-)

Kris from Port Orange, FL.