Thursday, April 2, 2009

YOU ASKED, DWIGHT ANSWERED

Here is our first installment of the ``Ask Dwight'' segment we will be running weekly to help bring fans closer to the Me.
Remember, if you have a question for Me, send it to questions@dwighthoward.com and I will pick and choose a few each week for the site.
Thanks everyone for visiting the website each day.


QUESTION: I’m Dwight ’s biggest fan in the world, and yes I am a girl. And no I don’t just like him because he’s cute, which he is. I like Dwight because he is very dominant in the game of basketball. My question to him would be how does it feel to be considered one of the most dominant men to play the sport. -- Andrea Byers

DWIGHT: It feels good that people consider me a dominant player, but I don’t consider myself that way because there are still so many things that I’m working on. I always say that word, `Dominate,’ to myself before games because I always want that thought in my mind. I want to go out and dominate every game that I play in.


QUESTION: Hey Dwight. My name Is Tony and I’m 15 years old, in second year of high school. I'm 5'11 and I have to play the 5 for the JV team at my school. My coach had high expectations for me at the beginning of the season but I didn't do what I was supposed to do. I kept drifting out to the 3-point line to take the long range shots because we h ad a 6'1 Power Forward who would shoot as soon as he got the ball. So I cleared the paint for him and waited for a kick out. Other times when i got the ball in the post, I didn't have a "go-to" move, I would either just do a hook shot or a mini-fade jumper. I would like to ask you for some advice on what moves I can use that are effective in the post and tips on offensive rebounding. – Tony Shi

DWIGHT: The biggest thing is working on getting a consistent shot off the glass. I did that a lot when I was growing up. I tried to get any shot I had off the square and I knew if I hit the right spot it would go in. I always worked on left-handed and right-handed hooks off the glass.
Watching a lot of film on big men who still play today like Kevin Garnett and Tim Duncan helped me pick up little things, and kids coming up should do that because you can learn from those guys.
I’d say start off with learning basic moves like a drop step to the baseline, getting to the middle with hook shots and hitting a turn-around jump shot.


QUESTION: I am a die hard Magic fan from Orlando and a huge fan of yours as well. I am very high on this team and I’m sure you are too, but my question is, how do you feel about getting no respect from ESPN or any sports media? It’s almost like they count you out and you’re having one of the best seasons in Orlando Magic history and yet nobody seems to take notice nationally. Does it upset you or motivate you? Just want to let you know I have been going to games with my dad since I was a little kid and this year I have never been more proud the be an Orlando Magic fan. I believe in Magic. -- Matt Guidice,

DWIGHT: It does motivate me. I’ve never gotten respect from people growing up and that’s pushed me to try and be an even better player. It’s tough watching ESPN and all of the other stations and as a team we’re not getting any credit for the stuff that we’re doing. It motivates us and motivates us to be the best.


QUESTION: How do you guys learn to use Coach Van Gundy’s screaming as a motivator? Does it not bother you? Don’t you get sick of it? -- Omar DaShiki,

DWIGHT: Sometimes it’s motivating, but 90 percent of the time it does upset me. But he has a way of saying all of the right things. But when you are on the court, in the heat of battle, you don’t somebody getting on you. But that’s just the way it is with him.


QUESTION: Hey, D-12, I’m a big fan. I was just wondering what you consider to be your favorite verse in the Bible. – Unknown.

DWIGHT: I’ve got so many of them that really it’s so hard to choose. But I d have to say that it’s Philippians 4:13: For I can do all things through Christ, who gives me strength.


QUESTION: Hi. I just wondered what your favorite zoo animal is and why? Cheers, Drew. -- Drew

DWIGHT: Man, I haven’t been to the zoo since I was a little kid. C’mon man.

1 comment:

MMayo said...

You should go to the zoo more often...Go see the penguins :)