Tuesday, March 24, 2009

BOUNCING BACK VS. NEW YORK

I really wasn’t happy with how I played Saturday against the Knicks and I wanted to come back with a big game Monday night. We really needed it to keep pace with the Celtics and to reach our team goal of 60 wins.
I really felt like I let the refs take me out of my game Saturday night. I stopped being aggressive because it seemed like anything I did, I got called for a foul. I can’t let the refs take me out of the way that I know how to play. When I’m aggressive, attacking and hitting first, that’s when I’m at my best.
That was my mindset from the jump Monday night. I had 13 points in the first quarter because I came out in attack mode. My teammates were looking for me and finding me and I didn’t hesitate.
The Knicks didn’t really start double-teaming me until the fourth qua rter, so I tried to make quick, strong moves in the paint. And when the double teams started coming, I just wanted to make the right plays to get us open shots. My assist to Turk in the fourth quarter got us a 3-pointer and got Turk going. He had another big fourth quarter and helped us win the games.
So many people think clutch plays in the NBA come on hitting shots. But too often people overlook a big defensive play or a tough rebound and don’t consider those to be ``clutch’’ plays. I had a couple of nice blocks down the stetch, I forced a turnover on Wilson Chandler that led to our go-ahead basket and I was really proud of the tough rebound I pulled in in traffic with us up three with about a minute to play.
Those are the plays that help us win games. And that’s why I’m constantly thinking and talking about defense. Me being a dominant presence in the lane defensively and on the boards is what is going to help us win a championship.
Peace. -- DWIGHT

No comments: